Thursday, August 20, 2009

That's why.. Part Two.

Calm restored we continue to paddle towards the tiny green signs. We paddle at a leisurely pace, looking out towards Ocracoke Island, racing each other, bumping kayaks, having a great time. We start to get close to some fisherman that are standing in the water. They are pretty far out and the water is about to their thighs. We paddle close to them and say hello. It's about that time we come upon the sand bars. The water is so shallow we are unable to paddle the boats and have to climb out and walk across the sand bars pulling our kayaks behind.

"You want me to get out of the kayak?" I ask D.

"Yes love, we won't be able to make it over the sand bar unless we get out." D replies.

"Uh. I didn't plan on getting out."

"Well you kind of have to. Look it's no problem honey, the water is at our calves."

"Calves?"

"Yes, calves. Come one get out, I'll hold your boat."

D holds the boat and I climb out. Luckily I still have on my flip flops so I don't feel the slimy seaweed that is everywhere (this would have been a very different story without those flip flops, slimy yuck on my feet? No thank you.) waving back and forth as the tide comes in and out. I take a few steps and get more comfortable with the fact that I am hundreds of yards away from the shore and the water is up to only my calves.

"Oh this isn't so bad." I say

"Were you scared?"

"Yes, walking when I can't see my feet freaks me out."

"Alright, well there is nothing in this water but minnows. See them?"

Suddenly music from jaws is playing in my head.

"Minnows?" I ask.

"Minnows." D replies.

"Oh I see them!"

Music stops.

"Minnows are cute."

"Honey, you are a goofball." D laughs

"Well they are."

We continue on like this for a while, the sand bar is large and as we pull the kayaks across it I feel the sun beating on my shoulders. Once we reach the end of the sand bar D holds my kayak again as I jump in. He pushes me off into deeper water. I use the push to take off and get a lead on D knowing he will catch up in seconds.

"Now we need to aim our bows more toward the shore because we are getting close to where the ferries turn." D says.

Newsflash freak out. I start paddling like crazy again, my sights set for the shore. The beer has relaxed me enough that I turn and see D point for the shore. I keep paddling paddling my arms starting to ache but I am too determined to slow down.

"Honey that's good. You can rest," D shouts.

I turn my boat towards his and paddle up next to him.

"I'm getting better at this!"

"Good love. Want to take a break?"

I hesitate because I know that means I have to get out of the kayak again.

"Chips, beer, sunblock?" D tempts me.

"Yes. Yes. Yes." I reply

We paddle the short distance to shore. Eat chips, drink our last beer, apply sunblock. We are laughing having a good time. We then consider how much farther we have to go versus how long it took us to get this far. Decide the wind is too strong for us to make it around the point, much less all the way to the beach where everyone is relaxing. We naively think the wind at our backs will make our return trip easier.

Refreshed and ready to go I jump in the kayak. No fear at this point. I start paddling back across when I notice that my kayak keeps turning towards the shore, when I want it to turn away from the shore. D hasn't mentioned it so I assume it's just me as I often have trouble keeping my kayak straight. I have to stick my oar in on the left side of the kayak and hold it there to make my boat turn left then paddle paddle stick paddle paddle stick. It's only been a few hundred yards and already I am exhausted.

"Are you having a hard time keeping your boat straight?" D yells to ask.

"Yes. Why? Are you?" I reply

"Yes. It must be the current."

"What should I do?"

"Just keep doing what your doing."

Paddle paddle stick. Paddle paddle stick. For a long time. The ferry terminal seems like a speck that is not getting any closer.

"It's the wind. It's pushing our boats around." D tells me.

"What should I do?"

"Just keep doing what you're doing. That's the only way to keep the boat straight."

"Stupid wind! I thought you were my friend!" I raise my fist in the air.

Paddle paddle stick. Paddle paddle stick for what seems like an eternity. Finally we reach the sand bar. This time the water is even more shallow. We cross a couple of small sand bars by simply pushing off the ground with our hands til we reach deep water again. This only works for a short time when we are back to pulling the boats behind us. We walk for a while. Now the wind is catching the boat and knocking it into our legs every so often. My flip flops are rubbing my big toes raw. The tiny speck of the ferry terminal is not getting any closer.

The fishermen that we passed earlier out still out and we finally get to them.

"Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a boat?" The older fat one asks me.

"Hmm." I chuckle.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of .... your face. Damn it. Why can't I ever come up with a good come back?

D is too far away to hear the smart ass fisherman so I just keep walking and walking and walking. Finally we get to deeper water I have never been so happy to jump in the kayak.

This is where D goes from average guy to the wonderful great guy that I love.

We are paddling along. Our spirits lifting because we have turned directions and the wind is helping us now. But we are still exhausted and ready to get back to the boat ramp. We manage to cross the ferry channel no problem no ferries in sight. There are however quite a few boats driving past heading towards the boat ramp.

"Keep your bow pointed toward the wave, other wise it could flip you over." D says.

"Okay love." I reply

I manage to turn my boat towards the waves and the bow pops over them. It's fun actually the kayak rocking back and forth. But in order for me to keep my bow towards the waves I have to stay still. This does not make for good progress when a boat is passing every few seconds.

"Honey, you can't stop for every boat." D says.

"Well that's what I like to do."

D keeps paddling like a pro. Riding the waves on his way in towards the boat ramp.

I panic as he gets farther ahead.

"Honey come on just paddle it will be fine, the wake is not that big." D says.

"Okay."

I start to paddle, when I see 3 boats heading our way. I start to freak out thinking of D's words. "..or else you'll flip over."

I see myself flipping out of the kayak. The wake starts crashing against my boat, it's rocking me side to side. D is pretty far ahead now, thinking that I am keeping up with him.

"Honey! Honey! HONEY?!!!" I start to scream hysterically.

D hears me and turns around.

"Honey, just paddle!" D yells back to me.

"But I'LL FLIP OVER!! I scream in that 'come help me tone'.

"Honey the water is only two feet deep. You can just stand up!"

Now at this point if I were not me I would want to smack me.

"BUT HONEYYY!!" I say still worked up.

"Honey, you can see the bottom. If you flip over, just stand up." D says

His reassurance calms me and I paddle the rest of the way in to the boat ramp. At the end I actually start to have fun and kind of like the wake. I realize what a nutcase I am and can't believe D didn't lose his patience with me.

We make it to the boat ramp. Load the boats on his truck. We start to talk at the same time.

"I'm sorry I freaked out." I say

"Want some ice cream?" D says.

1 comment:

ParkPlacePioneer said...

I love us:)