Thursday, November 5, 2009

It's my birthday!

When I was a kid there was a Pumping Station beside the trailer where I lived. One of those small white brick buildings that the city maintains. I never knew what actually went on inside the station-all the neighborhood kids guessed it was so all of our toilets could flush at one time without causing an explosion.

I just knew it had a very long cement driveway that was perfect for riding bikes, roller skating, drawing with chalk, playing four square, it also was home base during hide and seek. Since it was beside my home all the kids would come over and play.

One day when I was about 9 a friend and I were on the station driveway. Our arms linked over each others shoulders, she had a skate on her left foot and I had a skate on my right foot. We only had one pair of skates between us and this was the best and most fun solution we could come up with.

Somehow during our skating adventure we started discussing time. I told her that if we just closed our eyes and snapped our fingers we would instantly be older. Not just a second older but cool older.- staying up past midnight older, wearing make-up older, driving a car older, kissing a boy older.

We snapped and snapped and snapped til our fingers were sore and the street lights came on and we had to go home, disappointed that time had let us down.

Now here I am 32 and I am pretty sure it was due to all that snapping.

No comments: