Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It's not easy being green

I somehow broke my coffee pot about a month ago. I don't know what happened but it is the third coffee pot to go down like this. I fill it with water, add the filter then coffee, press on and wait and wait and wait. No coffee. So I hit the on button a few times. On on on on on ON! No go. Then I unplug the pot and plug it back in On on on on. Nothing. "Another one bites the dust!" I say to D.

I pull out my handy dandy french press. "Well this is supposed to make better coffee anyway, so it will be fine." Only that requires me to boil water then add the water and wait at least four minutes which seems like a lifetime. After a few tries I get the method down pat. My favorite part is using the digital thermometer to ensure the proper temperature. I pride myself on being green since I don't use filters in the french press.

Then I realize that I use about a gallon of water rinsing the grounds out each morning and maybe it would be better if I just got a new coffee pot. Or maybe I am lazy and want to just push a button. But I do like the ritual of boiling the water and waiting for the perfect temp. I just need a new method of rinsing the ground out so I can actually be green and not just pretend.

No comments: